Thursday, October 27, 2016

How I Made $150 Trash Picking



The table in the clip above is similar to the one I'm talking about in this post, except the one I found had much more intricate carving. 

Back in 2006, I could tell that taxi driving was going to keep going downhill as a business, so I tried to escape it.  I had discovered storage unit auctions by accident a couple years before.  This was a while before the TV shows about storage auctions came out.  Oddly, I started in Huntington Beach, California, and I think Daryl who now stars in Storage Wars, was at the first auction I went to.

In any case, I was living in my taxi, and had my own stuff in a storage unit.  I started going to storage auctions and buying the cheaper units, and reselling things, making a bit of money.  One day, driving into my own unit, I passed the dumpster, and there was a big, round table top, and a huge table base nearby.  I didn't think much of it.  The next day, I went to my unit again, and I could tell the table was old, so I checked it out.  It was solid oak, definitely antique, with lots of hand carved details.  But there was some damage to it.  I threw the table top in the back seat, lugged the insanely heavy base into the trunk, and took it from the dumpster to my unit.  I happened to have a disposable camera so I took a few photos and got them developed.

Over the next few days, in the course of driving around in my taxi, I stopped at several antique shops to see what they thought.  The crazy heavy table I found in the trash was solid oak, made in France, and probably made around 1870-1880.  after about three days, a store owner said he'd give me $300 for it.  So I went to my storage unit, loaded it up, and took it to his huge antique shop.  when he saw it, he said, "That's a lot smaller than I thought it was, I'll give you $150."  A lot of people may have been  pissed off.  But I pulled it out of the trash three days earlier, I took the $150 cash and headed back out on the road as a taxi driver.

How did I spot it?  I worked for years as a furniture mover, and I got to know good furniture from bad, so it caught my eye sitting there by the dumpster.  You never know where a good piece will be found.  A lot of people put old furniture out by the dumpster or on the curb.  Like the old saying goes, one person's trash is another person's cash.  Keep an eye out.

No comments:

Post a Comment