Monday, November 21, 2016

How am I trying to start a business with literally no money?

For a variety of reasons, I can't get hired for even a lame job here in North Carolina.  Most people here give me the standard advice: "Tweak your resume' and keep trying."  But the longtime Californian in me says, "Screw that, I'll create my own job."

Right now I'm writing and self-publishing a book about my adventures in the early days of BMX freestyle in the 80's and 90's.  I stumbled into the industry, and saw a lot of really cool things happen firsthand.  After some trial and error, I decided to publish my "book" myself, laid out like a big zine.  It's just going to be a D-ring binder with pages I write and layout myself, and copy and put together myself.  Zines (pronounced zeens) were small, photo copied, self-published booklets we made to write about our friends and ideas in the 80's and 90's.  Basically, it's what bloggers did before blogs.  So I had the idea to do that, just on a bigger scale.  I'm writing 20 pages at a time, and using the orders I get on my Go Fund Me crowdfunding page to actually fund it.  Using advance orders to fund a business is an idea I got from a book called No Cash, No Fear, which it a good read for entrepreneurs.  Basically, today's crowdfunding sites are a high tech way to do that much easier.

Another way to start a business with no money at all is to provide a service and charge for that.  So how am I doing?  I'm finishing the first 20 page section of the book today, and I have 2 orders so far.  OK, a few more orders would be better, but it's a start.  I'm adding lots of goodies and giving the book a real hand-made feel, so hopefully it will do better once a few copies are out there and words gets around.  I'm also promoting it with my blog on the same subject.

Here's my BMX blog, Freestyle BMX Tales, with a link to the Go Fund Me Page at the bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment